As we continue to move forward, there’s an emphasis on using clean, renewable forms of energy. One of the best ways to do this in your own home is by installing solar panels. Homeowners see a plethora of benefits when they install solar panels. Are you thinking about installing solar panels in your home? Learn everything you need to know to get started with this guide from Energy Technologies Inc.!
Homeowners that install solar panels in their homes see a number of great benefits. Among them, the four best benefits are as follows:
- Energy bill reduction. When you install solar panels on your home, you’ll reduce your overall energy bill since you’re generating your own power.
- Instant savings. Installing solar panels means you’ll start seeing savings on your power bill immediately. It doesn’t take time for them to start generating power.
- Helping the environment. Using solar panels to generate your own power reduces your carbon footprint, which helps save the planet.
- Tax credits and rebates. When you install solar panels in your home, you’re able to take advantage of many different tax credits and rebates. This can actually make money for you.
Solar panels are going to work on most roofs that receive some sort of sunlight throughout the day. However, that doesn’t mean that they’re going to be operating at peak efficiency on every roof. When you’re considering solar panels for your home, the following factors make an ideal roof for generating power:
- Material: A standing metal roof is the best for solar panels, but asphalt and tile work well, too.
- Pitch: Solar panels collect the most energy when tilted at about 30 degrees. The ideal roof pitch for this is about 7 / 12. Any roof steeper than 40 degrees won’t work. Flat roofs will work, but you’ll have to install angle brackets, too.
- Size of Roof: To be self-sufficient, your roof will need approximately 300 square feet of surface area on your roof in most cases.
- Sunlight: If your roof is constantly shaded, solar panels aren’t going to work effectively, making them an expensive add-on without much in terms of benefits.
The installation of solar panels can be done on a DIY basis, as long as you have some working knowledge of tools and assembly. However, it’s typically recommended that you hire a contractor. Typically, finding a contractor in your area is as easy as finding a few options and checking their qualifications.
The average cost of installing a solar system in the United States is about $12,000. Some small systems can cost as little as $5,000, while larger systems may cost up to $40,000.
If you’re concerned about being able to afford solar, you may be in luck. Some homeowners qualify for the FHA’s Energy Efficient Mortgage program. This program helps homeowners finance eco-friendly home modifications by adding the cost to their mortgage. This makes paying for an upgrade like solar much more manageable.
Adding solar to a home is an excellent upgrade for any homeowner. It helps you go green and save the planet, increases your home’s value, and can even generate income, depending on how much energy your panels collect. Get started with your solar installation sooner than later.